Patent Docketing Specialist
We are seeking a motivated individual for a full-time Patent Docketing Specialist position. As a member of the Patent Department, the Patent Docketing Specialist will support the in-house patent attorney in the full patent application process and ongoing annuity maintenance, as described more fully below. This is an excellent role for a seasoned paraprofessional in the intellectual property and patenting space, with opportunity to provide support and expertise across a wide range of technologies in a professional and collegial atmosphere, with the ability to continue your professional development.
This position reports to the Patent Attorney and is based in Charlottesville, Virginia, with possibility for a hybrid schedule or 100% remote work for top candidates. Our expected salary range is $60k-$80k, plus an excellent benefits package.
· Open new matters in CPi, Timeslips, and Docket Excel table.
· Review and docket incoming emails.
· Docket and process incoming and outgoing USPTO correspondence.
· Review all applications filed by outside counsel for accuracy and docket.
· Track and remind attorney and licensing staff of deadlines.
· Prepare weekly/monthly docket reports.
· Attend monthly internal conversion/nationalization meetings.
· Create and prepare custom docket reports as needed.
· Maintain annuity system.
· Monitor, remind, and process all U.S. maintenance and foreign annuity fees.
· Patent docketing experience required.
· Patent USPTO e-filing experience preferred.
· 3-5+ years legal office experience/administrative work desired; relevant paralegal certifications and coursework are a plus
· Self-motivated with ability to work autonomously and with remote team members.
· Detail-oriented with strong verbal, written communication, and organizational skills.
· Ability to effectively set priorities, meet deadlines, multi-task, and reprioritize to accommodate urgent requests.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Adobe required.
· Experience with IP docket program required.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint preferred.
· Experience with Timeslips is a plus.
· Medical, dental, vision, and life/AD&D insurance;
· Long and short term disability insurance;
· 403b retirement plan with excellent employer contribution;
· Paid time off, plus paid holidays according to UVA’s academic calendar.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The University of Virginia Licensing & Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, handicap, or any other classification protected by applicable law.