Innovation resources available to University researchers, entrepreneurs and partners
- Batten Institute (Darden School of Business)
- Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership (Darden School of Business)
- Galant Center for Entrepreneurship (McIntire School of Commerce)
- OpenGrounds (Office of the Vice President for Research)
- nanoSTAR Institute
- Institute for Business in Society (Darden School of Business)
Innovation Courses and Programs at UVA
- Entrepreneurship Minor
- Biomedical Engineering Capstone and Design Courses (Department of Biomedical Engineering)
- Law Student Patent and Licensing Clinic (School of Law)
- Technology Entrepreneurship Program (School of Engineering and Applied Science)
- Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital Club
- Student Entrepreneurs for Economic Development (SEED)
- Enactus at UVA
- Nano and Emerging Technologies Club (NExT)
- Student Council Entrepreneurship and Innovations
- Virginia Law Entrepreneurial Society
- Virginia Venture Fund
FOR INNOVATION VENTURES
- Center for Innovative Technology
- University of Virginia Research Parks
- University of Virginia Licensing & Ventures Group Incubator Space - please contact Melissa T. Newman at 434-924-2185 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Virginia Cobb Hall Small laboratory facilities within Cobb Hall are available to start-up companies spinning out of the UVA School of Medicine. Managed by the Licensing & Ventures Group in conjunction with the School of Medicine, this space is designed to help companies conduct initial proof-of-concept studies, often under SBIR or STTR funding. Companies that have received either Phase 2 SBIR/STTR awards or investments from external investors or entities are not eligible to lease or continue in Cobb Hall space. For additional information, contact Steven S. Wasserman at email@example.com or 434-243-7088.
Incubators and Accelerators
New Venture Formation and Business Development
- Central Virginia SCORE
- Central Virginia Small Business Development Center
- The Center for Nonprofit Excellence
- Virginia Department of Business Assistance
NETWORKING & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Charlottesville Business Innovation Council
- Charlottesville Chamber of Commerce
- Virginia Biotechnology Association
Is something missing from this list? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.
The path toward innovation begins with invention.
Disclose Your Inventions
UVA inventors have a responsibility to disclose their inventions to UVA and UVA has an obligation to disclose those federally funded inventions to the federal funding agency.
The fundamental premise of the Bayh-Dole Act is the empowerment of all funded institutions to elect title to their inventions in exchange for commitments to seek their dissemination.
File A Patent
The purpose of the United States patent system is “to promote the progress of science and the useful arts”. Accordingly, the Bayh-Dole Act obligates us to file patent applications as a means to support of our commercialization efforts.
Seek "Expeditious Practical Application"
Thomas Jefferson once said, “Where a new invention promises to be useful, it ought to be tried.” It is our responsibility as innovators to drive our inventions ahead – leveraging the patent system and commercial enterprise where appropriate and prudent.
Should UVA be successful commercializing an invention, UVA will share net revenues with the inventors and reinvest in research, innovation, and scholarly activities.